MM 3.7 Strategies to Increase Micro-Affirmations
- Learn to provide micromessages that support student self-efficacy.
- Plan to affirm every student and ensure others are affirming as well.
- Create a culture of affirmation in your class by not tolerating negative comments and practicing affirmations to create energy and acceptance among your students – You rock!
- Be intentional. There is a moment before you react that you can be more thoughtful in your response. Will you be affirmative in your message?
- Practice micro-affirmations and measure each small impact through student outcomes. Remember that change takes:
- Time – a year or more!
- Effort – a conscious plan!
- Support – of your peers and a learning community!
- Before teaching a new concept, have your students reflect on a positive experience they had while learning something new as a way to affirm their ability to learn.