After completing this module, you should be able to:
- Define the Perkins Act requirements and Core Indicators.
- Recognize the benefits of nontraditional employment and careers to both students and the economy.
- Recognize micromessages and how they relate to implicit bias, self-efficacy and other internal barriers.
- Evaluate root causes and select strategies that influence nontraditional participation and completion rates in Career Technical Education (CTE).
- Begin developing and implementing a program improvement plan using the resources provided.
If you are interested in exploring initiatives and organizations that are also working towards better educational outcomes and occupational participation in many career areas, please consider the following:
- American Assembly for Men in Nursing: http://aamn.org/
- Gender Equity Principals: http://www.genderprinciples.org/
- CAREERwise: Minnesota’s Career, education, and job resources: https://www.careerwise.mnscu.edu/
- Men Teach: http://www.menteach.org/
- National Education Policy Center: http://nepc.colorado.edu/ideal
- Catalyst – Expanding opportunities for women in business: http://www.catalyst.org/
- Tradeswomen Organizations: http://www.tradeswomen.net/links/
- Women in Technology International: https://www.witi.com